Duke Internal Traveler Program (DITP) RN - PRN - Duke University Health System
Company: Duke Health
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Duke University Hospital Duke University Hospital is
consistently rated as one of the best in the United States and is
known around the world for its outstanding care and groundbreaking
research. Duke University Hospital has 1,048 licensed inpatient
beds and offers comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic
facilities, including a regional emergency/trauma center; a major
surgery suite containing 65 operating rooms; an endo-surgery
center; a separate hospital outpatient surgical department with
nine operating rooms and an extensive diagnostic and interventional
radiology area. For , U.S. News and World Report ranked Duke
University Hospital nationally in 11 adult specialties: cancer,
cardiology & heart surgery, diabetes & endocrinology, ear, nose &
throat, gastroenterology & GI surgery, gynecology, neurology &
neurosurgery, ophthalmology, orthopedics, pulmonology & lung
surgery, and urology. Duke University Hospital is also ranked first
in North Carolina and first in the Raleigh-Durham area.
In addition to its hospitals, Duke Health has an extensive,
geographically dispersed network of outpatient facilities that
include primary care offices, urgent care centers, multi-specialty
clinics and outpatient surgery centers.
RNs who join the Duke Internal Traveler Program (DITP) use their
specialized clinical expertise and adaptability skills to fill new
assignments every 12 weeks across Duke University Health System's
three hospitals (Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital,
and Duke Raleigh Hospital).
Registered Nurses will be hired for up to one year into specialty
groups to fulfill requests for a traveler RN across DUHS.
Nurses chosen for the program gain the ability to expand their own
professional network and experiences in assignments on different
- Emergency Services (Level 1 Trauma in Durham)
- Perioperative Services
- Critical Care
- Heart Duties and Responsibilities of this Level
- Plan, provide, supervise and document professional nursing care
utilizing the nursing process for patients in accordance with
physician orders and established policies and procedures. Use
professional nursing judgment to individualize the plan of care
based on assessment of the patient's baseline needs and response to
- Delegate tasks and supervise the activities of other licensed
and unlicensed care providers.
- Assist other nursing personnel in the delivery of nursing care
and act as team leader or charge nurse for a group of patients or
an entire unit as assigned.
- Monitor and initiate corrective action to maintain the
environment of care including equipment and material
- Participate in own professional development by maintaining
required competencies, identifying learning needs and seeking
appropriate assistance or educational offerings.
- Act as preceptor and support the development of other staff and
- Participate in the identification of clinical or operational
performance improvement opportunities and in performance
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described
herein. Required Qualifications at this Level
Work requires graduation from an accredited BSN or Associate's
Degree in Nursing or Nursing Diploma program.
All registered nurses without a Bachelor's degree in Nursing (or
higher) will be required to enroll in an appropriate BSN program
within two years of their start date and to complete the program
within five years of their start date.
2 years of clinical experience in a specialty is required.
Degrees, Licensure, and/or Certification:
Must have current or compact RN licensure in the state of North
Carolina. BLS required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of scope of the registered nurse, licensed practical
nurse and NCA
- Knowledge of and appropriate application of the nursing
- Knowledge of professional theory, practice and procedure
- Ability to assess nursing needs of acute and chronically ill
patients and their families
- Able to independently seek out resources and work
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
- Able to communicate clearly with patients, families, visitors,
healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership and
- Able to teach patients and families in accordance with the
nursing plan of care
- Able to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and
prioritize information, treatment, and follow-up
- Able to use fine motor skills
- Competent in BLS and/or other specialized life support
requirements designated by work area
- Able to record activities, document assessments, plan of care,
interventions, evaluation and re-evaluation of patient status
- Able to use computer and learn new software programs
- Able to document and communicate pertinent information using
computer and/or paper documentation tools
- Able to navigate the entity to provide clinical care for
- Able to withstand prolonged standing and walking
- Able to remain focused and organized
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques involved in
administering routine and special treatments to patients
- Working knowledge of infection control procedures and safety
- Working knowledge and completion of appropriate JCAHO and other
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed
to providing employment opportunity without regard to an
individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression,
gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration,
innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success
depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best
when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and
experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential
that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the
contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices
are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to
uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University
and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob
functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities.
Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable
accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Keywords: Duke Health, Cary , Duke Internal Traveler Program (DITP) RN - PRN - Duke University Health System, Healthcare , Morrisville, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!