Posted on: September 20, 2022
Job Location: Cary NC (hybrid)
Role Value Proposition:
The resource in this position will handle database administration
for SQL-Server with a significant focus on continuous improvement
and technology strategy, in a 7/24 production environment. This
will include expert escalation for troubleshooting production
issues, assists in development lifecycle, capacity management and
strategy, operational standards and procedures, stabilization and
optimization, DB instance performance monitoring and tuning,
standards identification and compliance, continuous improvement,
automation, partnering with Engineering on certification of
platforms / versions / features, partnering with Architecture on
data modeling / governance, partner with Monitoring team to
establish monitoring program, change management, metrics &
reporting, contributing to technical architecture and technology
roadmaps for the database space, and providing technical leadership
to a DBA team ensuring a high-level of reliability and availability
for database management systems. Some on-call support for database
related problems will be required. The Database Administrator (DBA)
in this position will have passion for data, and databases, and
bring expertise to help us deliver best in class data delivery
- Pro-actively ensures database systems are maintained at the
highest level of support in all production and non-production
- Architect and provide DR and HA solutions. Expert in server,
database and application security. SME on server optimization and
query tuning. Provides expert opinion and technical details for
business applications by performing capacity planning, workload
modeling and prediction; provides enough resources for
applications' short and long-term growth.
- Ensure the database management environments are updated with
current stable versions of software products; maintain currency
with operating system and support software; plan and implement
major software upgrades; ensure change management procedures and
methodologies are implemented and followed.
- Participate in establishing processes, best practices,
strategies, and database management solutions including development
standards, backup/recovery, quality control, DR/failover,
monitoring, maintenance, metric reporting, optimization,
improvement, automation, etc. for SQL-Server.
- Project Management/Project delivery and documentation Essential
Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- 4+ years of experience in database and database internals, with
strong focus in SQL-Server, Azure and SQL PaaS.
- A BS in Information Technology, Computer Science or a related
- Basic knowledge of Windows Server administration (incl. Active
Directory) & an idea about proper disk configurations.
- Experience with SQL Server in both physical & virtual
- Familiarity with backups, restores and recovery models.
- Experience utilizing various high availability (HA) and
disaster recovery (DR) options for MSSQL Server.
- An interest in performance tuning along with a basic
understanding of how to read execution plans.
- Experience working in an 24/7/365 environment.
- The ability to discuss database related topics with both
technical & business audiences.
- Strong problem solving skills and a commitment to getting
things done right.
- Eagerness to learn and help others. Preferred:
- Working with code repositories, done code reviews and worked in
continuous integration/deployments before using agile
- A fan of automation and orchestration with the ability to bring
additional knowledge around this topic (e.g. Power shell, T-SQL,
Amelia etc.) to our team.
- DB Automation experience with PowerShell and External Tools
like Chef, IPSoft and Azure DevOps
- Familiarity with one or more of the 3rd party products we use
(Zenoss, Rubrik, AppDynamics, IBM TWS, IBM Guardium,
- Technical working knowledge of virtualization, operating
systems, network and storage systems.
- Active in the SQL Server community (e.g. have a blog, go to
user group meetings etc.). At MetLife, we're leading the global
transformation of an industry we've long defined. United in
purpose, diverse in perspective, we're dedicated to making a
difference in the lives of our customers."
MetLife, through its subsidiaries and affiliates, is one of the
world's leading financial services companies, providing insurance,
annuities, employee benefits and asset management to help its
individual and institutional customers navigate their changing
world. Founded in 1868, MetLife has operations in more than 40
countries and holds leading market positions in the United States,
Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
We are one of the largest institutional investors in the U.S. with
$642.4 billion of total assets under management as of March 31,
2021. We are ranked on the Fortune 500 list for 2021. In 2020, we
were named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for the
fifth year in a row. DJSI is a global index to track the leading
sustainability-driven companies. We are proud to have been named to
Fortune magazine's 2021 list of the "World's Most Admired
MetLife is committed to building a purpose-driven and inclusive
culture that energizes our people. Our employees work every day to
help build a more confident future for people around the world.
We want to make it simple for all interested and qualified
candidates to apply for employment opportunities with MetLife. For
further information about how to request a reasonable
accommodation, please click on the Disability Accommodations link
MetLife is a proud Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative
Action employer dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing
a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment at MetLife without regards to
race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or
related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or
domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship
status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace.
Requisition #: 126829
Keywords: MetLife, Cary , Database Administrator, IT / Software / Systems , Morrisville, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!